We had a fabulous time at this year’s WineGB Awards presentation lunch and tasting! Held at Vintners’ Hall, the “spiritual home of the international wine trade”, as described Simon Robinson, WineGB’s Chairman, it was the perfect celebration of award winning English & Welsh wines.
It’s been dubbed “the BAFTAs of the UK wine world” and did not disappoint. The judging team was headed up by Susie Barrie MW and Oz Clarke, and included Sam Caporn MW, Pierpaolo Petrassi MW, Richard Hemming MW, Sue Daniels, Phil Tuck MW, Christine Parkinson, Nik Darlington, Jane Parkinson, Matthieu Longuere MS and Simon Field MW.
A total of 254 English/Welsh wines were submitted and a total of 39 gold, 53 silver and 124 bronze medals were won. Still wine wins were higher than sparkling wines wins at 56% to 44% and were particularly singled out for praise:
“What was wonderful to see this year was the number of still wines entered into the WineGB Awards on the back of the superb 2018 vintage. We all now how great the UK’s finest sparkling wines are, but the still wines this year were the best we’ve tasted.”Susie Barrie MW (as quoted in WineGB Awards2019 booklet)
However, the sparkling wines dominate in the top awards winning 26 out of the 39 gold medals. See the full list of award winners here.
Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Bacchus were the highest performing varieties amongst the still wine wins and Chardonnay was the principle variety in the sparkling blend wins.
The trophy winners were announced at the ceremony (see below) and we were pleased to hand out the trophy to Ridgeview for the Best Classic Cuvée which we sponsored. Click here for full details of the wines (variety/vintage).
- Supreme Champion: Langham Wine Estate
- Top Sparkling: Langham Wine Estate
- Top Still: Chapel Down
- Best Newcomer: Roebuck Estates
- Best Boutique Producer: Sutton Ridge Vineyard
- Winery of the Year: Harrow & Hope
- Best Still Bacchus: Chapel Down
- Best Blanc de Noirs: Alder Ridge & Harrow & Hope (joint winners)
- Best Blended White: Denbies Wine Estate
- Best Class Cuvée NV: Ridgeview – sponsored by us
- Best Non-Classic Blend: Breaky Bottom
- Best Prestige Cuvée: Chapel Down & Gusbourne (joint)
- Best Still Rosé: Gusbourne
- Best Sparkling Rosé: Langham Wine Estate
- Best Still Pinot Noir: Gusbourne
- Best Single Varietal White: Chapel Down
- Best Blanc de Blancs: Langham Wine Estate
- Best Red Blend: Three Choirs
- Best Classic Cuvée Vintage: Roebuck Estates
Congratulations to all the winners of both awards and trophies – they are a true testament to the high quality of English & Welsh Wine.
“I am really proud to be involved in these National wine awards. We set the bar very high and all the medals – bronze, silver and gold – every medal counts and is hard-earned and well-deserved.”Oz Clarke (as quoted in WineGB Awards2019 booklet)
Meanwhile, we look forward to next year’s #WineGBAwards …
From the team at Vigo Ltd